Founded in 1976, Laumeier is one of the first and largest dedicated sculpture parks in the country, making it an institution of international significance as well as a unique complement to the cultural landscape of the St. Louis region.
In 1968, Mrs. Matilda Laumeier bequeathed the first 72 acres of the future Laumeier Sculpture Park, together with a large stone house, to St. Louis County in memory of her husband, Henry Laumeier. In 1976, local artist Ernest Trova gifted 40 artworks to St. Louis County, and Laumeier Sculpture Park was dedicated as part of the St. Louis County Department of Parks and Recreation system on July 7, 1976.
Today, Laumeier is a nonprofit, accredited art museum that operates in partnership with St. Louis County Parks. Projects and programs are supported by the Mark Twain Laumeier Endowment Fund, the Regional Arts Commission, the University of Missouri-St. Louis, Missouri Arts Council and the Arts and Education Council of St. Louis. Laumeier presents 60 works of large-scale outdoor sculpture in a 105-acre park available free to the public year-round, and serves 300,000 patrons annually through temporary exhibitions, education programs, public events and sculpture conservation.
In 2015, Laumeier closed its first major capital campaign, Sculpting the Future, culminating in the renovation of the Laumeier’s 1917 Estate House into the Kranzberg Education Lab and the construction of the new Adam Aronson Fine Arts Center for exhibitions, programs and events.
40 WAYS TO CELEBRATE LAUMEIER'S 40TH ANNIVERSARY
At the beginning of each quarter during Laumeier's 40th Anniversary year (July and October 2016, January and April 2017), we will release 10 more ways to celebrate with us!
- Wish your friends and family a happy “Laumeier Sculpture Park Day” on Friday, July 1, as proclaimed by the St. Louis County Council and City of Sunset Hills!
- Visit Laumeier’s newest sculpture installation, Alexandre da Cunha’s Mix (Americana), 2013, in the Museum Circle.
- Join us for our monthly Free Walking Tour on Sunday, July 3, at 2:00 p.m. to learn more about Laumeier’s First Decade.
- Follow along with Laumeier’s #tbt historical campaign on Facebook and Instagram, kicking off on Thursday, July 7—Laumeier’s actual 40th Anniversary! #laumeier40
- Attend Laumeier’s Free 40th Anniversary Performance on Saturday, July 16, at 11:00 a.m., featuring a presentation of the original composition Laumeier Sculpture Park Anthem, by Dr. Barbara Harbach, as part of Laumeier’s In-Residence program, supported by the Ferring Family Foundation.
- Follow along with Laumeier’s #lovelaumeier staff campaign on Facebook and Instagram, kicking off on Friday, August 5. #laumeier40
- Join us for our monthly Free Walking Tour on Sunday, August 7, at 2:00 p.m. to learn more about Laumeier’s Second Decade.
- Join us for our monthly Free Walking Tour on Sunday, September 4, at 2:00 p.m. to learn more about Laumeier’s Third Decade.
- Attend a conversation about Art’s Ability to Predict the Future led by Laumeier Executive Director Marilu Knode at the first St. Louis Murmuration Festival, September 23–25.
- Become a Member to support Laumeier’s mission and receive exclusive Membership benefits, including free admissions to the Annual Art Fair, discounts on multi-day education programs and more!
- Join us for our monthly Free Walking Tour on Sunday, October 2, at 2:00 p.m. to learn more about Laumeier’s Fourth Decade.
- Join us for Sauce Magazine’s annual Harvest Festival at Laumeier on Sunday, October 16, from 11:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. to enjoy fall foods and beverages from St. Louis’ top restaurants, a farmers market, locally made arts and crafts, live music and more! (admission charges apply)
- Join us for our monthly Free Stroller Tour on Thursday, October 20, at 10:00 a.m. themed around Laumeier’s history.
- Register for a fall or winter multi-day Art Class or one-day Art Workshop youth, teens, adults and families.
- Attend the free opening reception for Laumeier’s fall exhibitions by Mohau Modisakeng and Alison Ouellette-Kirby & Noah Kirby on Saturday, November 5, from 11:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m. in the Adam Aronson Fine Arts Center and the Way Field.
- Donate to Laumeier’s Annual Appeal in honor of the 40th Anniversary! Consider enrolling in Laumeier's new Monthly Giving program to support Laumeier all year long!
- Visit Gracie’s Shop in the Adam Aronson Fine Arts Center during regular building hours (Thursday–Sunday, 10:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.) to participate in Laumeier’s new Bring Me A Book program, which allows visitor families to check out a book (for free!) to enjoy during their time at the Park!
- Learn more about Event Rentals at Laumeier for your 2017 wedding or special event! Private event rental opportunities are exclusive to Laumeier Members.
- Learn more about Laumeier’s sculpture interaction guidelines by following along with Laumeier’s photo campaign on Facebook and Instagram, kicking off on December 6, 2016. #laumeier40
- Give the gift of Laumeier this holiday season! Visit Gracie’s Shop in the Adam Aronson Fine Arts Center during regular building hours (Thursday–Sunday, 10:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.) to peruse past exhibition catalogs and other merchandise for sale, or Shop Online.