Founded in 1976, Laumeier is one of the first and largest sculpture parks in the country. In 1968, Mrs. Matilda Laumeier bequeathed the first 72 acres of the future Laumeier Sculpture Park to St. Louis County in memory of her husband, Henry Laumeier. In 1976, local artist Ernest Trova gifted 40 artworks, with an estimated market value of approximately one million dollars, to St. Louis County for the formation of a sculpture park and gallery. Laumeier Sculpture Park opened as part of the St. Louis County Department of Parks and Recreation system on July 7, 1976. One year later, Laumeier Sculpture Park was officially incorporated.
Today, Laumeier is an internationally recognized, nonprofit arts organization that is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and operates in partnership with St. Louis County Parks. Projects and programs are supported by the Mark Twain Laumeier Endowment Fund, the Regional Arts Commission, the University of Missouri-St. Louis, Missouri Arts Council and the Arts and Education Council of St. Louis. Laumeier presents 60 works of large-scale outdoor sculpture in a 105-acre park located in the heart of St. Louis County. Free and open daily, Laumeier serves 300,000 visitors of all ages each year through sculpture conservation, education programs, temporary exhibitions and public events.
In 2015, Laumeier closed its first major capital campaign, Sculpting the Future, culminating in the renovation of the Laumeier’s 1917 Estate House into the Kranzberg Education Lab and the construction of the new Adam Aronson Fine Arts Center for exhibitions, programs and events.
40 WAYS TO CELEBRATE LAUMEIER'S 40TH ANNIVERSARY
At the beginning of each quarter during Laumeier's 40th Anniversary year (July and October 2016, January and April 2017), we will release 10 more ways to celebrate with us!
- Wish your friends and family a happy “Laumeier Sculpture Park Day” on Friday, July 1, as proclaimed by the St. Louis County Council and City of Sunset Hills!
- Visit Laumeier’s newest sculpture installation, Alexandre da Cunha’s Mix (Americana), 2013, located in the Museum Circle.
- Join us for our monthly Free Walking Tour on Sunday, July 3, at 2:00 p.m. to learn more about Laumeier’s First Decade.
- Follow along with Laumeier’s #tbt historical campaign on Facebook and Instagram, kicking off on Thursday, July 7—Laumeier’s actual 40th Anniversary! #laumeier40
- Attend Laumeier’s Free 40th Anniversary Performance on Saturday, July 16, at 11:00 a.m., featuring a presentation of the original composition Laumeier Sculpture Park Anthem, by Dr. Barbara Harbach, as part of Laumeier’s In-Residence program, supported by the Ferring Family Foundation.
- Follow along with Laumeier’s #lovelaumeier staff campaign on Facebook and Instagram, kicking off on Friday, August 5. #laumeier40
- Join us for our monthly Free Walking Tour on Sunday, August 7, at 2:00 p.m. to learn more about Laumeier’s Second Decade.
- Join us for our monthly Free Walking Tour on Sunday, September 4, at 2:00 p.m. to learn more about Laumeier’s Third Decade.
- Attend a conversation about "Art’s Ability to Predict the Future" at the first St. Louis Murmuration Festival, September 23–25.
- Become a Member to support Laumeier’s mission and receive exclusive Membership benefits, including free admissions to the Annual Art Fair, discounts on multi-day education programs and more.
- Join us for our monthly Free Walking Tour on Sunday, October 2, at 2:00 p.m. to learn more about Laumeier’s Fourth Decade.
- Join us for Sauce Magazine’s annual Harvest Festival at Laumeier on Sunday, October 16, from 11:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. to enjoy fall foods and beverages from St. Louis’ top restaurants, a farmers market, locally made arts and crafts, live music and more (admission fees apply).
- Join us for our monthly Free Stroller Tour on Thursday, October 20, at 10:00 a.m. themed around Laumeier’s history.
- Register for a fall or winter multi-day Art Class or one-day Art Workshop for youth, teens, adults and families.
- Attend the free opening reception for Laumeier’s fall exhibitions by Mohau Modisakeng and Alison Ouellette-Kirby & Noah Kirby on Saturday, November 5, from 11:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m. in the Adam Aronson Fine Arts Center and the Way Field.
- Donate to Laumeier’s Annual Appeal in honor of our 40th Anniversary. Consider enrolling in Laumeier's new Monthly Giving program to support Laumeier all year long!
- Visit Gracie’s Shop in the Adam Aronson Fine Arts Center during regular building hours (Thursday–Sunday, 10:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.) to participate in Laumeier’s new Bring Me A Book program, which allows visitor families to check out a book (for free!) to enjoy during their visit to the Park.
- Consider hosting your upcoming wedding or other special event at Laumeier! Event Rental opportunities are exclusive to Laumeier Members.
- Learn more about Laumeier’s sculpture interaction guidelines by following along with Laumeier’s photo campaign on Facebook and Instagram, kicking off on December 6, 2016. #laumeier40
- Give the gift of Laumeier this holiday season! Visit Gracie’s Shop in the Adam Aronson Fine Arts Center during regular building hours (Thursday–Sunday, 10:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.) to peruse past exhibition catalogs and other merchandise for sale, or Shop Online.
- Become a “sculpture parent” through Laumeier’s NEW Sculpture Adoption Program to support the cleaning, maintenance and care of the artworks.
- Visit Laumeier’s table at the Summer Opportunities Fair at MICDS on Saturday, January 28, from 10:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m. to learn more about our 2017 Summer Art Camps. Then, Shop Now and Register Here.
- Consider becoming a Laumeier Docent! Winter 2017 training starts Monday, February 13. A variety of Volunteer Opportunities are available at Laumeier on an ongoing basis.
- Subscribe to Laumeier’s quarterly e-newsletter and monthly calendar update emails to stay up-to-date on the latest Laumeier news!
- Make a Tribute Gift to Laumeier in honor of our 40th Anniversary.
- Attend a free discussion and film screening of A Man Named Pearl, a documentary about renowned topiary artist Pearl Fryar (with an artwork in Laumeier’s Permanent Collection!), on Wednesday, March 1, at 6:30 p.m. at the Adam Aronson Fine Arts Center.
- Post your own Laumeier memories to Facebook and Instagram using #lovelaumeier and #laumeier40!
- Celebrate International Women’s Day on Wednesday, March 8, with a visit to Laumeier to view our many artworks by women artists including Harriet Bart, Niki de Saint Phalle, Jackie Ferrara, Tea Mäkipää, Mary Miss, Beverly Pepper, Judith Shea, Jessica Stockholder, Marie Watt, Frances Whitehead and Kim Yasuda.
- Step Into Spring with a free Basket + Blanket Tour on Saturday, March 25, at 12:00 p.m. for a closer look at Laumeier’s Collection followed by a picnic lunch in the Park. (Bring your own blanket and picnic!)
- Book a School or Community Tour for the upcoming spring season! Tours are led by trained Laumeier Docents, last approximately one hour and can be themed and tailored to fit specific needs and interests. Receive one complimentary admission for every 10 participants (admission fees apply for ages 4 and up)!
- Learn more about Laumeier’s history at the opening reception for our anniversary exhibition, Drawing from the Collection: 40 Years at Laumeier, on Saturday, April 1, from 11:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m. The exhibition, which showcases Laumeier’s extensive collection of preparatory drawings, prints, works on paper, collages and photographs, runs through Sunday, July 16, in the Whitaker Foundation Gallery at the Adam Aronson Fine Arts Center.
- Join Associate Curator Dana Turkovic for a coffee break and casual tour of the current exhibition in celebration of our 40th Anniversary, Drawing from the Collection, at our free Coffee with the Curator events on Friday, April 21 and May 19, at 11:00 a.m.
- Check out our Tips for Families to Explore Laumeier online before your next trip to the Park. You can even download and print your own copy to carry along!
- Ages 21 and up can indulge their creativity at our adults-only spring Art Workshops: Chill + Be Chill on Friday, April 21, and Mud + Merlot on Friday, June 9, at 6:30 p.m. Shop Now and Register Here.
- Make Laumeier’s 30th Annual Art Fair your Mother’s Day weekend tradition, May 12–14! Admission is $10; ages 10 and under are free.
- Join us for our first Free Stroller Tours of the season on Thursday, May 18, at 10:00 a.m. AND 6:00 p.m.
- Explore How’d They Do That? with Laumeier’s Curatorial team at this free, annual Cocktails + Conversation event on Thursday, May 25, at 6:00 p.m.
- Eat to your heart’s content at St. Louis County Parks’ Free Parks Food Truck Fest, featuring live music and a variety of St. Louis Food Truck Association members at Laumeier on Friday, June 2, from 5:00–8:00 p.m.
- Join us for the return of Free Family Days on Sunday, June 11, from 2:00–4:00 p.m.! Free Family Days provide families (with kids of all ages!) a chance to bond while encouraging observation, imagination, curiosity and creativity.
- Save the Date for our official 40th Anniversary celebration on Sunday, September 24, from 2:00–5:00 p.m. The free, community-wide celebration features the dedication of a new sculpture installation, food and beverage, family activities, live music, yard games and more! Details to follow.